Is this you? You had a great weekend, slept pretty well, but woke up on Monday morning feeling like you’d been hit by a truck.
Pretty sure they call that a weekend hangover – and it doesn’t even have to involve alcohol.
If this is how you feel today, what do you do?
- You could push through and do your thing, even though you feel like crap
- You could hang it up and take the rest of the day off
- You could take a nap and hope you feel better later
- You could veg out in front of the computer and tell yourself you’re getting stuff done – when you’re really not. (“hey, I’m sitting at my desk so that must count, right?” – nope, it doesn’t.)
Here’s the thing. When you’re not feeling your best (or even semi-great), you end up not really giving 100% to anything in particular. You dance around the focus sweet spot but never quite get there. You can try to force it, but you won’t get great results.
But you’ve got too much to do, right?
If the idea of taking the afternoon off makes you feel like an enormous slacker, I get it. Oh boy, do I get it.
Here are a few things you could try:
- Take 15 minutes and get some fresh air. Fresh air boosts your alertness naturally.
- Drink some cold water – with lemon if you have it. Cold + citrus = awake.
- A 15-minute power nap can do wonders. Really, try it. No less, no more.
- Jumping jacks, yoga poses, or even dancing for a few minutes will get the blood flowing and wake you up
- Take a whiff of peppermint. Oil, tea, whatever.
- Switch tasks to something you really enjoy doing – engaging tasks stimulate the brain.
If you feel like crap today, take time now to course-correct so you can rock the rest of the week!